A. Good Web site http://www.educationplanet.com/
B. Ideas from American Chemical Society booklet
- Which peanut butter is the stickiest?
- Are guppies attracted to mirrors?
- Which animals in a zoo are kept in families?
- Does changing the contents of a fish tank change the
fishs swimming pattern?
- Does the size or breed of a dog affect its heart rate?
- What container will keep a drink cold for the longest
period of time?
- Which kind of adhesive bandage stays on the longest?
- What kind of tennis ball bounces higher and longer
- Which dishwashing liquid is the best degreaser?
- Does double-bagging make paper or plastic bags twice
- What materials are best for soundproofing?
- Which colors absorb the suns heat the most? the
- Which kinds of fabrics are best for keeping you warm?
- Which kinds of cereal get soggy the fastest and stay
crunchy the longest?
- Which kind of vinegar makes the best reaction
(loudest, longest, most bubbly) with baking soda?
- Are there different living things in different soils?
- Are temperature and barometric pressure good
predictors of rainfall?
- Is there a relationship between the size of a tree and
the size of its leaves?
- What is the relationship between the length of a
plucked rubber band and the sound it produces?
- Does the amount of food given to a gerbil affect how
long it sleeps?
- Do different-colored hard candies dissolve at the same
- Which kind of sponge is better, natural or synthetic?
- What combination of water, liquid soap and sugar make
the best bubble-blowing liquid?
- Design a soup bowl and spoon that allow you to finish
the last bit of soup without tipping the bowl.
- How will changing the type of food in a bird feeder
affect the types of birds that feed?
- Do babies prefer certain colors or shapes of blocks?
- Which colors can be seen from the greatest distance?
- Do members of the same family tend to have the same
- Is there a relationship between the length of
peoples hands and the length of their feet?
- Can you train an earthworm to do something?
- Which brand of cotton balls is the best (number per
price, or rate of absorption, or total absorption, or
- Do larger batteries (D and C cells) last longer that
smaller ones with the same voltage (AA and AAA)?
- Can male grasshoppers jump farther than female
- Which dishwashing liquid produces the most suds?
- Whats the smallest portion of a potato needed to
start the growth of another potato?
- Which paper plates will hold more weight without
- How long can people hold their breath? What
characteristics might affect it?
- Where do seeds sprout best?
- Will a seed grow if part of it has been removed?
- What kinds of plants will and will not grow from
- How does too much of a good thing (water, fertilizer,
light) affect plants?
- Does fertilizer affect the amount of algae growth in
- Do taller people have bigger feet?
- Do solutions of different kinds of salt and sugar
produce different crystals when they evaporate?
- Does a light object really fall at the same rate as a
heavy object? (What really affects the rate of fall in
- Can you make a painting using only pigments from the
plants, soils, and minerals in your neighborhood?
- Is the hatching time of brine shrimp affected by the
amount of salt in the brine solution?
- Are snails attracted or repelled by light?
- Which kind of soil will hold more water?
- Design a vehicle which can travel 10 feet by itself
powered only by rubber bands or balloons?
- Are paper grocery bags stronger than plastic grocery
- Design a feeding dish or mechanism which will prevent
a large dog from stealing food from a little dog.
C. Good stuff from Vernier Technology
D. Chemistry Project Ideas
E. Starter experimental procedures (not real project ideas
but simple experiments that might be applied to projects)
Kitchen Scientists - A Guide to Home Science Experiments